Friday, February 18, 2011

How To Take Excellent Photographs of Jewelry Without Breaking your Bank

Since I’ve started making jewelry, I have been trying to take great photographs of my product and I am finally happy with my results. Now, by no means do I claim to be a professional photographer, but I think I have sufficiently conquered the art of taking great photos of my products, without an expensive camera or unnecessary props.

Step 1: Choose a background that is pleasing to the eye. I find that plain solid backgrounds work best; however, backgrounds with simple watermark patterns may give your piece that extra edge. Please see below for examples:


Background with pattern (special lighting)


Plain Background (natural lighting)


Step 2: Set your camera to the proper functions. I found this was very difficult at first, but I’ve learnt which setting works best through trial and error.

I use a very old Sony digital camera that has very limited functions but that's the best thing about it, you don't have to spend time learning all the functions since you may only need to learn a few to start with! Of course, the more you know the better, but if time is an issue the following are all you need for now:

~Macro - use for close up pictures, it helps to focus on the small details

~White Balance - set camera to daylight if you are using natural sunlight
(There will be a little more about this later on)

~Set it to the light bulb if you are using special lighting,
(There will be a little more on this later on)

~Exposure - adjust it according to what you see on the camera, usually this is trial and error, experiment with a few different levels and see what you get and remember the settings so that you can use the same settings next time.



Step 3: Choose your lighting. You can decide whether you wish to use natural light of special lighting. You can achieve the same results with both effects. In the pictures above, the one with the plain background uses 'natural light' while the other one uses 'special lighting.'

I find the main difference between the two is that with 'natural lighting' you are limited to taking your pictures during the day on brighter days. If you get rainy days then you're pretty much out of luck. Special lighting gives you the flexibility to take your pictures any time during the day or night (if you're a night owl!).

Now, for thrifty photographers who may not want to spend a great deal for special lighting, two big flashlights work just as well. Place the flashlights on a raised platform and aim them towards the back or the sides of your jewelry and begin shooting. With practice, this method will work very well.

Using these three simple methods you can get excellent photographs of your pieces which you’ve already worked so hard to create. If you have any feedback, or more at-home photographing techniques or questions please feel free to contact me at lyne@byjlc.com.

No comments: